Sadie

Sadie

Sunday, September 14, 2014

How Sadie schemed her way into bed

The first night I brought Sadie home, she was not feeling well, because of her surgery (spaying). She walked around the house and hung out with me and the hubs for a bit, but then she retreated to her crate. When I went to bed, she was still there, but within a short time of my going to bed, the hub brought her upstairs, and she immediately jumped on the bed. 

We had decided we wanted to keep her off the beds, but I was so happy to see she had perked up. I also knew it might be challenging since she had slept in a bed in her previous home. In any event, the hubs took her back downstairs, and she slept in her crate.

I don't remember if that lasted one or two nights, but I do recall deciding that since we both worked FT and were gone for a big part of the day (other than the hubs came home on his lunch hour to take her out), we should let her sleep in our room. On the floor. In a pet bed.

The first night, she woke me up around 3 a.m.; she was standing next to the bed whining. I recall the hubs making a joke about 3 a.m. feedings. But I took her out, and she went back to her bed, and that was that. She did, however, jump into bed early that morning, but we were okay with that. So much for keeping her off the bed.

A similar thing happened the next night and morning, though she jumped into bed a little earlier. Within a few days, she starting quietly jumping into bed a little earlier, and we were too tired to do anything about.

By the end of the week, she managed to jump into bed around midnight, which was only about an hour after the hubs had gone to bed. Within a day or two, all three of us went to bed at the same time. In the bed. And within another week or so, she slept right between us.

Eventually Sadie stopped sleeping with us (having a baby can do that), but I will never forget how she slowly but surely wormed her way into our bed. :-)

- TF

No comments:

Post a Comment